The word Sudan, if ever, comes up in our day to day conversations, most
people think of Darfur, the South Sudan crisis or some new sanction
that the United States has imposed on the country. Sudan unlike its more famous
neighbour on East doesn’t really get a lot of attention from people I know
except for those who work in the UN. I for one was
very curious about this country. And what better way to learn about country
that to try out some of their national food!
Living in Addis Ababa gives me the chance to try out cuisines
from several parts of the world. Being the political and cultural capital of
Africa, Addis gets its fair share of foreign visitors and has a sizeable expatriate population. At any point in time, you have the option of eating at least 12
different cuisines. One on my favourite quotations on Addis is, “You’ll
never eat alone”. So I put on my adventure hat and off I went to try out some Sudanese
food in a local restaurant a few hundred meters from my hotel.
The entrance to the restaurant was quite interesting looking. There
was a lady wearing, I am guessing, the traditional Sudanese woman’s dress and
was making Sudanese tea. The restaurant was fairly simple looking. Comfortable
and spacious but no real art, décor or interior design to talk about. I found
myself a table in front of the TV, sat down and asked for the menu.
The waitress handed me the menu. I had no idea what was
written in it. Even though it was in English, there was no description of the
food in the menu and I was just expected to know what I am to order. So I asked
for help. Called the waitress and asked her what each of the items in the menu
meant. I realised a few moments later that she did not speak any English!! Using
references to words like meat, bread and a lot of hand gestures I finally
ordered an Arabic salad and a Sudanese meat dish called Goraso with Sudanese bread called weaka.
As I customary is many restaurants here in Addis, the
customers get served some complementary appetizers. So my snack was snack version of Sudanese
bread. It looked like a small thick pizza base but was nice and fluffy and
tasted more or less like regular bread. As I waited for my dinner, I watched
the show that was on TV. It was an Indian soap opera dubbed in Arabic. And all
the waiters and waitresses seem to be glued to the TV set. It was hilarious!
Some random boy and a random girl were doing the Indian version of courting and
couple that with the Arabic dubbing made for some really good laughs.
Soon enough, my food arrived. So the Goraso dish looked something like boneless rogan josh. The weaka bread was like the Sudanese version of naan but slightly thicker. One
is supposed to bread a piece of the weaka and scoop the goraso to truly
enjoy the meal. The waiters gestured the right hand movement and man did I
enjoy my first bite! It was the perfect meat gravy. Not too spicy and just
meaty enough. The right amount of oil and with the right consistency. The bread
tasted something similar to the Indian Kulcha and was just soft enough to
absorb the gravy but yet tough enough so as not to break. The Arabic salad was
a lot of vegetables cut and served on a bed of olive oil and a generous dashing
of lemon juice. The combination of just spicy enough meat and the tangy
salad suited my palate perfectly! On the next table, I couldn’t help
but notice some gentlemen drinking a very delicious smelling tea. I am not a
regular tea drinker but the aroma was so good that I ordered a cup.
By this time on TV, the girl managed to make a complete
ass out of the boy and the boy as expected started to fall for her. The channel
was changed to another Indian channel where there was a song sequence going on
from an Arabic dubbed Aftab Shivdasani and Amrita Arora movie. So the dance
sequence was something like Aftab was singing a lovely romantic song to Amrita
full of passion, love and intensity with an US Aircraft Carrier in the
background. I think the music director was under the impression nothing says “I
Love You” like stealth fighter planes flying at mach 2 capable of carrying a
nuclear warhead taking off and landing on a 65,000 tonne aircraft carrier. But
who am I to judge. The waiters seemed to really enjoy it J
So my tea finally arrived. It was black tea with a leaf of mint next to it. It was recommended to me that I dip the mint leaf in the tea
to get a full flavour. And it was delicious! Quite possibly, the best cup of
tea I have had in my life. The warm tea and the cold mint leaf mixed perfectly
well and gave a lovely aroma as I sipped the delicious black tea. I asked for
the bill and this whole meal that stuffed me to the brink and in the process
sent my new year’s resolution down the drain cost all of 7 dollars! Now that is
what I call a steal!
So there you have it. My first Sudanese meal was a big hit.
For those of you who do manage to get to Addis Ababa, do go to this Little
Sudanese Restaurant that is just a stone’s throw away from the European Commission in Bole.
Your tummy, your taste buds and your wallet will be pleasantly surprised J
No comments:
Post a Comment